Book Club
I LOVE to read. I really do. My problem is that I don't trust myself enough to walk into a bookstore or library and just pick out a book. I need recommendations.
I have read some great books on recommendation. The Work and Glory Series, Harry Potter Series, Charlie Bone series, and more! I've been a bit stuck on the lastest series, Twilight. For some reason when I want to read and I have no new recommendations, I have fallen back on Twilight. I've read that whole series dozens of times. Now when I pick it up...I only read my favorite parts. It's sad really. I was confessing this to a good friend, Crystal and she agreed. "You need to branch out!" she exclaims.
As I have been attending different activities this past couple of weeks I have heard several of my friends talking about this book that they love. They are discussing plots, characters, history, politics...I began to feel left out! I would stand there in that circle of chatting women finding myself absolutely lost. They were discussing "The Count of Monte Cristo" and I start to feel jealous that no one told me of this amazing book. I start to ask around and I learn that it's the book they are reading for Book Club. I didn't even know this club existed! I've thought about joining other book clubs in the past but could never get on board with what they were reading.
This club was different. If they are choosing books that they will talk about everytime they see each other...I want in! So last night I went to Book Club. I hadn't read the book but did skim the "cliff's notes" online and got the gist of the story...but no details. I sat in the meeting completely silent, which is so not me. I watched and listened as these ladies talked about this classic book. It was fun! I'm more excited to go next month, having read the new book, and acutally join in on the discussion. My mind is expanding just thinking about it!
So here's to the Book Club! Thanks for existing so I can "branch out" as I have been instructed to do. I'll start looking for books that I can bring and recommend. Does anyone have any suggestions?? I'll do my dishes and start laundry now so I can dive into the book between loads.
The book we are reading is The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
Here I go!
I have read some great books on recommendation. The Work and Glory Series, Harry Potter Series, Charlie Bone series, and more! I've been a bit stuck on the lastest series, Twilight. For some reason when I want to read and I have no new recommendations, I have fallen back on Twilight. I've read that whole series dozens of times. Now when I pick it up...I only read my favorite parts. It's sad really. I was confessing this to a good friend, Crystal and she agreed. "You need to branch out!" she exclaims.
As I have been attending different activities this past couple of weeks I have heard several of my friends talking about this book that they love. They are discussing plots, characters, history, politics...I began to feel left out! I would stand there in that circle of chatting women finding myself absolutely lost. They were discussing "The Count of Monte Cristo" and I start to feel jealous that no one told me of this amazing book. I start to ask around and I learn that it's the book they are reading for Book Club. I didn't even know this club existed! I've thought about joining other book clubs in the past but could never get on board with what they were reading.
This club was different. If they are choosing books that they will talk about everytime they see each other...I want in! So last night I went to Book Club. I hadn't read the book but did skim the "cliff's notes" online and got the gist of the story...but no details. I sat in the meeting completely silent, which is so not me. I watched and listened as these ladies talked about this classic book. It was fun! I'm more excited to go next month, having read the new book, and acutally join in on the discussion. My mind is expanding just thinking about it!
So here's to the Book Club! Thanks for existing so I can "branch out" as I have been instructed to do. I'll start looking for books that I can bring and recommend. Does anyone have any suggestions?? I'll do my dishes and start laundry now so I can dive into the book between loads.
The book we are reading is The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
Here I go!Shhhhh, I'm reading!
Comments
Cool blog, btw!
I'm so glad you went to book club! I didn't read last month's book, but i just read "boy in the striped pajamas". I love anything to do with WWII. You will like the book, it is very easy reading and those are my favorites!