Surgery Revisited - 12/2/08

Alright...so here's the story...
Six weeks ago, Scott went in for surgery on his FROZEN SHOULDER. He had a frozen shoulder as a result of having Diabetes, it's really called Diabetic Adhesive Capsulitis but frozen shoulder is easier to say.
Well...Scott went in to see his Doctor on Wednesday of last week and they decided that while the first surgery was a success, the physical therapy wasn't doing enough so the adhesions came back and his shoulder froze again. Scott has been in a lot of pain in these past 6 weeks and we wondered what was wrong...now we know.
So...they decided to repeat the surgery but THIS time they would keep Scott over night at the hospital for at least one night, probably two nights and maybe even three nights! This is because they will leave a nerve block in his shoulder so each day the physical therapist and doctors can come in and manipulate his arm fully with no pain for Scott. Kinda like an epidural for his shoulder (for those moms out there).
This morning, again, we woke at 4am, again, and got there by 5am, again, to have surgery at 7am, again. I stayed with Scott for as long as I could but Tuesdays are my busy carpooling days...4 kids need rides at 4 different times. So I left him there with the intent of being back for the "after surgery report" from the doc. His surgery ended up being pushed to 9am which gave me more time for things like a shower and some breakfast.

Just like last time, Scott and Toby had a "wish me luck" bonding session the night before

Hurry up and wait

This time, instead of me sitting by his side waiting and waiting for him to wake up enough so I could get him home to bed...I waited at home, came to get my update, then left again for that much needed shower and food. When I returned around 3pm he was fully awake and in his room.

You would think he'd get bored but for Scott, uninterrupted FoxNews all day is a dream come true!

I left again to take care of the kiddos, then brought them back to see their Dad after dinner. They had fun playing with all the fun things in a hospital...the walkers, the funny bathrooms, extra pillows, fold out couches, Gift Shops, elevators, ice machines, nurses and doctors.

Isn't my princess a beauty?

Seriously...FoxNews junkie!

Here's a cute story about Mitch and hospitals. In 1997, I (Pam) had a horrible health year that ended with an ACL reconstruction on my left knee. Mitch was 2 and came to visit me in the hospital where a nurse showed him the wonders of the ice machine! He LOVED going to get ice in the pitcher for Mommy. When I was released and got to go home he was a bit upset that he wouldn't get to go to the ice machine anymore.

The next year (1998) his little brother Chase was born and the first thing he did when he got to the hospital was not want to see the baby but wanted to find the "chocolate chips". It took us FOREVER to realize that he meant ICE chips but quickly took him to his beloved machine when we did figure it out.

Above, Mitchell enjoys more "chocolate chips" from the hospital ice machine (Did you like that tangent?)

Here's Rylee giving her Dad an "air hug" so she doesn't disturb the injured shoulder

Chase was generous and bought the Littles (that's what we call Rylee and Carson) a notebook from the giftshop. Here are the notes they left for Dad. Carson's are on the outside, Mitch's in the middle.

Comments

Trish said…
I love the little notes and the air hug and the chocolate chips. You have such a special family. I hope that Scott isn't too bummed when he has to leave FoxNews and come home. :P Glad that its, "so far, so good." Still thinkin' of you!
Monique said…
It's hilarious that "Isn't my princess a beauty?" is right above Scott's pic! ;) Hope everything goes right this time!
NatureGirl said…
Scott---Sending you "get well soon" wishes from Idaho!
Pam Jorgensen said…
Thanks all!

Moki - That is TOTALLY funny! I didn't realize I did that! Hilarious!
DEANNA said…
Yuk.. not a great way to start the holiday season.

Hopefully this time it will be successful.... and I am sure the nerve block will be a dream come true!

I loved all the pics of you guys at Trish's house for Turkey day. Especially all the kids playing in the rain. I love to let my kids loose outside when it is like that. Lots of people are strange about that.... next time I am gonna have to call you and Trish so all the kids can splish splash together.
Chris said…
We hope Scott gets well soon! I love the "air" hug.
foreveryoung said…
Oh man, once is bad, but twice?? Poor guy! I can totally relate to enjoying the hospital stay (although I usually prefer sleep over Fox 10 news). I even considered having a C-section again just so I could stay longer :). Good luck with the recovery!

Popular posts from this blog

A Game of Memory

A Huge Sigh of Relief!

15 Years - that's right...you heard me!