My Little Vandal
I really debated on whether or not I should blog about this. I felt a bit embarrassed and a bit disappointed and I wasn't sure if it would be a positive thing to tell the world. I finally decided after reading and hearing stories about other peoples naughty kids and figured that at the very least, I'm not alone and hopefully Rylee can look back at this and see how much she's grown.
One day our neighbor came over to our house and asked us if Rylee drew on his car. I figured maybe the kids got crazy with the sidewalk chalk or tried to write wash me in the dirt and so I said, "I don't think so." We asked Rylee and she denied it. Then he said that someone carved a name into his car. He left a bit frustrated.
The next night comes a knock on the door. At my door is a policeman. I'm thinking there's a lost child or maybe a break in - no - they are here to ask Rylee about the incident. They ask me to again talk with Rylee about it. Rylee has, in the meantime, slinked into her room and is already sitting on her bed. When I come in I see a look on her face that says volumes. If she were a puppy her tail would be between her legs. I say to her simply, "Rylee, the police are here. It's time to tell the truth." She bows her head and says, "I did it with a nail"
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I start to scream and yell and tell her how naughty she is and how this is going to cost us tons of money we don't have and what was she thinking and why and when are you going to learn and where did we go wrong and how did this happen and...I stop, I breathe. I tell her to stay on her bed so I can go confess for her with our neighbor and the police. We get our police report, the neighbor thanks us for cooperating and says he understands - it could have very well been his kid. I'm grateful for his understanding.
As Scott and I are walking home we both have the, "oh crap, oh crap, oh crap" moments and hope that this will be one of those times where paying our tithing will bless us to not have a HUGE bill from this. I walk into Rylee's room and she has fallen asleep. I'm glad to have the night to cool off and think rationally. I hope she feels the kiss I give her as she sleeps and I go to bed.
The next day is the start of Spring Break. She, of course, is grounded for the entire first week (we have 2 weeks of spring break). I go into her room to have my calm, rational chat with her to get some more information. She has no idea why (naturally) she did it. She seems to understand the gravity of this situation better than ever before - I think the policeman at our door scared some sense into her. I can only hope!
We knew it was Rylee when we saw the backwards Z and the c and h transposed
A happy smiley face on a whole different part of the car
She managed to hit the back door and the back panel above the wheel
We just got done chatting with our insurance. We didn't know if this was an auto or home owners thing - luckily both our policies are with the same company. All is well, it's all covered. Something about a child under 13 clause.
One day our neighbor came over to our house and asked us if Rylee drew on his car. I figured maybe the kids got crazy with the sidewalk chalk or tried to write wash me in the dirt and so I said, "I don't think so." We asked Rylee and she denied it. Then he said that someone carved a name into his car. He left a bit frustrated.
The next night comes a knock on the door. At my door is a policeman. I'm thinking there's a lost child or maybe a break in - no - they are here to ask Rylee about the incident. They ask me to again talk with Rylee about it. Rylee has, in the meantime, slinked into her room and is already sitting on her bed. When I come in I see a look on her face that says volumes. If she were a puppy her tail would be between her legs. I say to her simply, "Rylee, the police are here. It's time to tell the truth." She bows her head and says, "I did it with a nail"
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I start to scream and yell and tell her how naughty she is and how this is going to cost us tons of money we don't have and what was she thinking and why and when are you going to learn and where did we go wrong and how did this happen and...I stop, I breathe. I tell her to stay on her bed so I can go confess for her with our neighbor and the police. We get our police report, the neighbor thanks us for cooperating and says he understands - it could have very well been his kid. I'm grateful for his understanding.
As Scott and I are walking home we both have the, "oh crap, oh crap, oh crap" moments and hope that this will be one of those times where paying our tithing will bless us to not have a HUGE bill from this. I walk into Rylee's room and she has fallen asleep. I'm glad to have the night to cool off and think rationally. I hope she feels the kiss I give her as she sleeps and I go to bed.
The next day is the start of Spring Break. She, of course, is grounded for the entire first week (we have 2 weeks of spring break). I go into her room to have my calm, rational chat with her to get some more information. She has no idea why (naturally) she did it. She seems to understand the gravity of this situation better than ever before - I think the policeman at our door scared some sense into her. I can only hope!
A happy smiley face on a whole different part of the carOh, but what a sweetheart girl I have.
We have since had many sweet discussions about growing up. She is only a year away from being 8 and being baptized so we've been talking about the responsibilities that come with baptism. She's starting to ask some good questions about repentance and I can see the buds of understanding starting to poke through the soil of her fertile mind.
We just got done chatting with our insurance. We didn't know if this was an auto or home owners thing - luckily both our policies are with the same company. All is well, it's all covered. Something about a child under 13 clause.
I love you Rylee Jean Jelly Bean!
Comments
I am so glad your insurance is covering it, those unexpected money challenges are NEVER fun. We have had a few of those. I hope that your relationship with your neighbor will not be harmed, it is much better to have a good relationship with them.
THANKS FOR SHARING!! (HOPEFULLY YOU DON'T MIND I STALK YOUR BLOG!!!)
DEANNA JENSEN
Just to make you feel better...
when my brother was 4 yrs old the cops came to our house. He and another 4 yr old found a bottle of black spray paint in someone's yard (no one's yards were separated by walls). They decided to play tic- tac-toe all over the white shed of a neighbor! Graffiti, at the age of 4! And a police record, my mom still talks about how when they had him sign the police report (a good lesson for him, I guess) that he, too, transposed the "J" in his name. Too funny, now!!!
I am so glad you shared this!
I think her ability to fall asleep after the police came to the door for her is an awesome lesson on it's own. How many of us can't let go of guilt?! And how sure she must be of the love of her parents to be able to relax like that! (Ahh, faith!)
Cooata can hardley remember your kids...but was highly entertained by the story!
Kim